President Trump will be speaking to a very different audience when he delivers his second official State of the Union address.
But there will be many new faces even among the President’s supporters.
Eight of Trump’s Cabinet secretaries have either resigned or been sacked since the last Trump’s address.
- Secretary of State Rex Tillersonwas replaced by Mike Pompeo. He has repeatedly disagreed with Trump’s policy.
- VA Secretary David Shulkin was a holdover from the Obama administration and among the first to go.
- Attorney General Jeff Sessionswas forced out. He has been considered never making Trump happy after recusing himself from the Russia investigation.
- Scott Pruitt, EPA Director, was let go after an increasing number of scandals and investigations.
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke had similar problems.
- White House chief of staff John Kelly left, after months of frustration and losing the President’s faith.
- US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley left with her reputation intact. She got a sendoff from Trump.
- Defense Secretary James Mattisresigned in spectacular fashion, with a not subtle letter after disagreeing with the President’s foreign policy regarding the military.
- Democrat Nancy Pelosi, the newly elevated House speaker will be behind him and a new Democratic majority, the most diverse Congress in history, will be before him.
New Cabinet members are awaited to be in State of Union address. Several Cabinet secretaries have switched jobs.
Office of Management and Budget director Mick Mulvaney is now also acting chief of staff. Mike Pompeo moved from CIA director to secretary of state.
Andrew Wheeler has been nominated as Environmental Protection Agency administrator.
William Barr has been nominated as attorney general. He would replace acting AG Matthew Whitaker.
Heather Nauert has been nominated to be US ambassador to the United Nations.
Robert Wilkie was confirmed to be veterans affairs secretary.
According to survey conducted by Brookings Institution researchers, there were more changes in the cabinet during the Trump’s presidency than any other President in recent memory. They stated that more than 65% of the cabinet have been replaced at least once.